Demonoid

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News: Welcome to Demonoid Fora!

Author Topic: When Pirates Cry About People Not Seeding  (Read 114 times)

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
  • Classic Torrents Forever
    • AnythingOldSchool's Classic Torrents
When Pirates Cry About People Not Seeding
« on: January 31, 2019, 07:47:35 AM »

https://anythingoldschool.classic.appboxes.co/

Like many of us long time torrent users, thereís always been a long history bitching about people who hit & run. These are people who either are really stupid when it comes to torrents; or people who just donít care and abuse the trackers theyíre using. These people never seem to grasp the concept that, if no seeders exist, you canít get the file. Thatís why torrents is a true sharing technology. Not just in files, but bandwidth! Yeah, itís always been a huge problem. However, it hadnít occurred to me until recently that we have an even bigger problem added on to that!

That problem isÖÖ.. Mobile technology!! Tada!!!!!! Yeah, we donít think about it much, but this is another game changer for torrent users. You see, I discovered that along with people shopping more and more using their mobile phones and tablets; theyíre also using their mobile devices to download torrents. This may sound cool to the average leecher, but in actuality itís an indirect problem in the torrent world. Why? People who download using their mobile phones are not going to help seed their torrents. Same is true for tablets.

Another point that most people may not realize. People are accessing torrents via Kodi systems now. This is also a problem, because they are NOT designed to seed. In fact, there are plugins that allow Kodi users to stream movies via torrent! This now puts the seeder in a ďmoralĒ obligation to continue seeding, knowing likely there will be little to no help. If we do seed, for how long? I donít think Kodi is that popular enough (yet) to effect the change I think it would. But I really do think the people that are developing these technologies need to consider the long term impact. Because of technologies like this, people now have even less appreciation for how torrents work, and the reasons as to how their able to see their movies.

Lastly, I still and always stand firm on the idea that, if you donít have the necessary bandwidth, you shouldnít be using torrents. And most of all, you have no business getting angry at someone yelling at you, cause youíre to selfish to seed.

-AOS

RxB2038

• Imp
Re: When Pirates Cry About People Not Seeding
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 05:22:25 AM »

You have a point with mobile and tablets (though I really have a hard time understanding the point of using a torrent client on your phone;))
Kodi, I didn't know there were leech plugins only. That's a bummer :(

As for me I have a seeding policy that make sense for me :
- default seed ratio is set to 1.8 on my client, which is about what my home bandwidth lets me reasonably afford (that's usually TV Shows and an the occasional movie from YTS)
- anything below 5 seeds I keep seeding as long as I can (that's usually when disk usage is too high)
- e-books are moved to my NAS and are seeded forever (or until i lose them in a disk xcrash, hence the NAS now :))
- things I ripped myself and/or gotten from Karagarga are moved to my NAS and are seeded forever.

I don't cry about people hitting and running though. It's always been that way as far as I can remember (and that's far..). It's annoying, that's true, but there is no known cure for selfishness and indifference. The best you can hope for is educate a few that'll carry  on the torch  ;)

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
  • Classic Torrents Forever
    • AnythingOldSchool's Classic Torrents
Re: When Pirates Cry About People Not Seeding
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 05:42:59 AM »

You have a point with mobile and tablets (though I really have a hard time understanding the point of using a torrent client on your phone;))
Kodi, I didn't know there were leech plugins only. That's a bummer :(

As for me I have a seeding policy that make sense for me :
- default seed ratio is set to 1.8 on my client, which is about what my home bandwidth lets me reasonably afford (that's usually TV Shows and an the occasional movie from YTS)
- anything below 5 seeds I keep seeding as long as I can (that's usually when disk usage is too high)
- e-books are moved to my NAS and are seeded forever (or until i lose them in a disk xcrash, hence the NAS now :))
- things I ripped myself and/or gotten from Karagarga are moved to my NAS and are seeded forever.

I don't cry about people hitting and running though. It's always been that way as far as I can remember (and that's far..). It's annoying, that's true, but there is no known cure for selfishness and indifference. The best you can hope for is educate a few that'll carry  on the torch  ;)

I think this is one of those unforeseen gradual progressions. It makes sense with mobile devices because with multi-platform applications such as VLC, you can play virtually any popular format. Second, mobile storage is getting larger too. So, if you're home on your WiFi, it may save a little more time of having to do the extra work of copying video to your phone.

I haven't had the desire to buy Kodi, but Kodi in my opinion is nothing more than a pirate version of Roku & Apple TV. Plus, at least with the legal boxes, you're guaranteed consistent high quality. I have an HDMI connection on my laptop, so that takes care of all my needs pretty much. But, the issue with Kodi streaming torrents needs to be addressed in my opinion. Because even if someone doesn't particularly care if someone hits & runs or not, it creates a situation where a user's time is limited. I've experienced it myself, where I'd take a change and download a huge file with only one seed, and the bastard would stop seeding @ 80-85%. I accept the fact that no one is obligated, but it's a pretty asshole(ish) thing to do. I just think that if Kodi becomes a more popular way of getting movies, then I also think that it would indirectly limit our selection, quality, and accessibility. The only solution to this I think, is to build Kodi machines with more storage, and create a torrent plugin for seeding.

Also, we have to remember that torrent use is international. We have people downloading from each other in every part of the world; and unless you're from an advanced country, chances are, you're not going to have the bandwidth to seed, you're not going to have the bandwidth to share higher resolutions, and they are less likely to have any money to afford a link service (rapidshare, megaload, etc.) or even a seed box for that matter. I don't know I'm making too much of a big deal or not. But, I do see a clear change in the behavior of the torrent culture since I've started just about 2 decades ago.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:51:32 AM by AnythingOldSchool »