Demonoid

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News: Welcome to Demonoid Fora!

Author Topic: The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy  (Read 154 times)

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
  • Classic Torrents Forever
    • AnythingOldSchool's Classic Torrents

A new study shows that after years of declines, BitTorrent usage and piracy is on the rise again. The culprit: an increase in exclusivity deals that force subscribers to hunt and peck among a myriad of streaming services to actually find the content they’re looking for.

Sandvine’s new Global Internet Phenomena report offers some interesting insight into user video habits and the internet, such as the fact that more than 50 percent of internet traffic is now encrypted, video now accounts for 58 percent of all global traffic, and Netflix alone now comprises 15 percent of all internet downstream data consumed.

But there’s another interesting tidbit buried in the firm’s report: after years of steady decline, BitTorrent usage is once again growing.

read more....

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/d3q45v/bittorrent-usage-increases-netflix-streaming-sites?fbclid=IwAR32wIVhqMlaQH_PQtTkNEF7E4z7r007Y7wptL1srgfCq12uHSx9_ctq3vA

megamarkd

• Imp
Re: The Rise of Netflix Competitors Has Pushed Consumers Back Toward Piracy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:47:09 AM »

Interesting story AnythingOldSchool, cheers for the link.  It's interesting how although originally abating visual entertainment 'piracy' (pirates sell their wares in my definition), it's become more akin to cable tv where one would have to pay exorbitant amounts to get all content available, and such now contributing to the redistribution of the content.
I liked telly better when there was only 4 channels and I owned two vcr's!

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »

Interesting story AnythingOldSchool, cheers for the link.  It's interesting how although originally abating visual entertainment 'piracy' (pirates sell their wares in my definition), it's become more akin to cable tv where one would have to pay exorbitant amounts to get all content available, and such now contributing to the redistribution of the content.
I liked telly better when there was only 4 channels and I owned two vcr's!

LOL... It was a lot less headaches. I've blogged about this so many times. I used to push and encourage people to buy legally, because piracy can effect the quality of future movies (if there's no financial incentives). Now? I don't give a shit. I now liken the entertainment industry similar to the housing market crash a few decades back. They gouge prices , and fuck fans in the ass with no petroleum jelly, then cry they're losing money? O really? The fans are actually losing money! Spending 500% over the price of what a movie/music is worth, to find out it was totally garbage later. How long do they honestly think people will continue to do that? I say, Let's torrent all we want, if that's how you treat fans.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:33:23 PM by AnythingOldSchool »

megamarkd

• Imp
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 07:54:47 AM »

Not to mention the current cinematic-fare is awash with financially appropriated intellectual properties which are also being raped for nothing more than a return on investment.  These days the only reason to go to the cinema is for a good soundtrack to be experienced in the manner of which it was intended to be experience in.  The sad thing about it all is it has created a benchmark for what is considered worth paying to see by the younger generation, who never experienced a trip to the cinema in the 90's and earlier....

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 10:39:50 AM »

I'll tell you one thing. Today, I don't attempt to watch any movie, until I check it out on both IMDB and RT. 'Cause even if I'm torrenting, I still don't wanna waste 2.5 hours of my life, watching a piece of garbage. Time that can never be reimbursed. "All we have to do is put out the worst piece of shit, and have the fans pay us $30-$40 a blu-ray." Not going to happen in this generation, neither thereafter.