Demonoid

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News: Welcome to Demonoid Fora!

Author Topic: Magnet to torrent conversion  (Read 214 times)

terrry418

• Imp
Magnet to torrent conversion
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »

Maybe for some it's intuitive, but I had to work out how to do it.

I have two links

http://magnet2torrent.com/

Fast, but cannot handle all magnet links. Paste the magnet into the orange box, without pressing enter, and if it converts it will download automatically.

http://magnet2torrent.me

Slower, but has a near 100% success rate. Paste the link into the box, without pressing enter. Wait until the ads have finished loading before pasting. When it converts (two to three minutes) you will get a download button. If it doesn't convert wait a few minutes and try again.

If neither of those work load the magnet link direct. For utorrent click on

File
Add torrent from URL

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
  • Classic Torrents Forever
    • AnythingOldSchool's Classic Torrents
Re: Magnet to torrent conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 04:50:47 PM »

You don't need those sites. I don't even understand why they exist. It is safe to say ALL torrent clients (up-to-date clients) save torrent files. That includes files downloaded from magnets. It is unnecessary to use those sites. UNLESS you're using a seedbox, and there is no plugin available to use magnets, which I doubt that. I can't see a reason to use those sites..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:06:25 PM by AnythingOldSchool »

terrry418

• Imp
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 08:30:57 PM »

I find that if I load a magnet link I have no control over the download folder. Also I can't see the files until the download starts, so if I want a partial download I have to stop and then restart.

If you know how to get past both of these issues in utorrent perhaps you would say so.

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »

I find that if I load a magnet link I have no control over the download folder. Also I can't see the files until the download starts, so if I want a partial download I have to stop and then restart.

If you know how to get past both of these issues in utorrent perhaps you would say so.

Terrry,

If I understand you correctly about your issue with the folders; it still shouldn't matter. You have a default folder, magnets cannot control or change your folder settings. If it does, then there's something seriously wrong going on with your computer, and I would be greatly concerned. Now, I haven't used μ-Torrent in a really long time, but I can't imagine that the client changed that much. There should be no different from using a torrent file and a magnet. μ-Torrent treats magnets as if it were the torrent file itself. The minute you paste the hash ID, you should see ALL the contents. regardless. Q-Torrent works the same way.

The only time when it becomes a pain in the ass, is when you're using a web GUI, because you can't pre-select your desired files before downloading (at least the ones I use (rutorrent and Deluge). Then I can understand your point. But, if you're using a desktop client, you shouldn't have to go through all that trouble You're giving yourself needless extra work.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:41:43 AM by AnythingOldSchool »

terrry418

• Imp
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 10:07:20 PM »

Utorrent loads a torrent into the last folder chosen by default, but there's also a dialogue that lets me choose the folder. It loads magnets into one folder only, which is the one specified in the utorrent preferences. No dialogue - just file, add torrent from URL and that's it. I can change the folder with right click, advanced, set download location, but by the time I've done that it's as much work as putting the magnet through the converter.

When the magnet is loaded the files tab is empty. Once the download starts the files tab is populated and only then can I tell it not to download certain files if I don't want them. Or it's too fast for me and I get files I don't want, but I have to seed them back anyway. I'm silly that way.

If you know a way to overcome either of these issues please do tell me. Have I been using utorrent wrongly and there's something in the options that I've missed? Again, that's possible.

megamarkd

• Imp
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 02:01:54 AM »

Try using Tixati.  It's a free torrent client that has no ads or spyware and has all the options that you could ever think of.  It creates and saves a .torrent file of magnet loaded transfers.  You can set it to open a dialogue for every transfer you start and choose which files to transfer and which destination folder to save them to.
https://tixati.com

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 02:16:20 AM »

Utorrent loads a torrent into the last folder chosen by default, but there's also a dialogue that lets me choose the folder. It loads magnets into one folder only, which is the one specified in the utorrent preferences. No dialogue - just file, add torrent from URL and that's it. I can change the folder with right click, advanced, set download location, but by the time I've done that it's as much work as putting the magnet through the converter.

When the magnet is loaded the files tab is empty. Once the download starts the files tab is populated and only then can I tell it not to download certain files if I don't want them. Or it's too fast for me and I get files I don't want, but I have to seed them back anyway. I'm silly that way.

If you know a way to overcome either of these issues please do tell me. Have I been using utorrent wrongly and there's something in the options that I've missed? Again, that's possible.

Maybe you should try @Megamind's suggestion. Again, it should not matter whether you use a URL, torrent file, magnet link, or Hash ID. They all should function exactly the same way by default. All 4 of those things has exactly the same information that is needed to acquire your desired torrent. Most people don't use μ-Torrent anymore because they've become an ad based client. It is possible that you're limited features because they want you to pay for the application. I stopped using μ-Torrent a looong time ago, those ads were f**king annoying. I would recommend trying both Tixati, and QTorrent, to see which one you prefer. My opinion is that you should try Q-torrent first, because some private trackers only allow certain clients, and QTorrent is perhaps a more popular and widely used.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 02:17:56 AM by AnythingOldSchool »

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 03:15:47 PM »

OOpsss I have to make a correction. I forgot, you can pre-select files with Deluge (web GUI). I forgot. I only use Deluge mainly to download huge files. It's exceptionally faster. HOWEVER, it seems to only force you to download the whole thing if you use magnets. That's strange. The only thing that I can think of is, it must be something that stemmed from the beginning of Torrent technology. You see, for private trackers, the entire torrent MUST be downloaded, otherwise it would be considered a hit and run. Many clients might be designed this way because of that reason. Huh... Never would have thought about this had you not brought it up.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:55:54 PM by AnythingOldSchool »