ƊЄMƠƝƠƖƊ

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News: Welcome to Demonoid Fora!

Author Topic: Cloud servers  (Read 832 times)

shentino

• Imp
Cloud servers
« on: January 03, 2019, 05:38:42 PM »

Have the demonoid staff considered cloud based redundancy?  Maybe some kind of cheap server solution.

Maybe self destructing servers if they lose contact with the "mother ship" for too long

Generally, redundancy.  TPB for example maintains a litany of domain names.

phaze1G

• Global Moderator
  • Stuck in old times
Re: Cloud servers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:28:29 PM »

Demonoid staff has little knowledge about coding.

I still see no point of hosting a reincarnated site of Demonoid or calling it Demonoid and starting from zero when there are plenty of other public and private trackers.

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
  • Classic Torrents Forever
    • AnythingOldSchool's Classic Torrents
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 04:31:40 AM »

I still see no point of hosting a reincarnated site of Demonoid or calling it Demonoid and starting from zero when there are plenty of other public and private trackers.

Yeah, phaze1G, this was kind of my point point from my last couple of posts on reddit. It hurts to know that a legacy has pretty much ended; and new torrent users just getting in on the scene has absolutely no clue.

Have the demonoid staff considered cloud based redundancy?  Maybe some kind of cheap server solution.

Maybe self destructing servers if they lose contact with the "mother ship" for too long

Generally, redundancy.  TPB for example maintains a litany of domain names.

The situation with demonoid really is complicated. This didn't truly sunk in my head, until phaze1G's fairly recent posts. Whether you're a tracker owner, staff member, or user. Torrents often times both deeply and profoundly effect our lives on different levels. I've always supported Deimos starting from scratch, simply because there's just so much data corruption, stuff being broken, etc, etc, and to continue to work with a broken system (where so many hands have been in it) at some point becomes pointless. I would be perfectly happy if he started off from scratch with a different name and renewed focus. Just as long he continues to keep the magic that made Demonoid what it was; the magic that made millions of users love it in the first place. Community.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:51:51 PM by AnythingOldSchool »

1Trek1

• Imp
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 10:38:37 PM »

I agree; a server with a reputable history is needed and Demonoid (whatever new name it decides to go by) would be that.

But, in the interim, does anyone know of any other torrent sites that can be used reliably for files?

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 09:44:44 AM »

I agree; a server with a reputable history is needed and Demonoid (whatever new name it decides to go by) would be that.

But, in the interim, does anyone know of any other torrent sites that can be used reliably for files?

I'm not sure if your question can be accurately answered in my opinion. The torrent world has changed so much. I like different sites for different reasons, depending on what I'm going for. However, in the grand scheme of things, all these trackers have become scrapers and search engines. So, at the end of the day there is a 90% chance that what you want will be on either TPB or 1337x. All other trackers are filled with so much malware, I wouldn't even go their with my VPN.

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 10:39:26 AM »

And now what really pisses me off, is that now a lot of these trackers are charging donations for invites! How fucked is that? We're pirates 'cause we don't want to spend money, and they're asking  for "donation" for an invite? One of the many reasons people are moving to public trackers

booker

• Imp
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 03:04:56 PM »

We're pirates 'cause we don't want to spend money, and they're asking  for "donation" for an invite?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a cheap, penny-pinching bastard. Nevertheless, I can remember 3 times when I've considered donating to my favorite sites. Back in the heyday of KickassTorrents was probably the first - or maybe ThePirateBay was the first site that sparked my feelings of giving back to the community. The most recent site (and community) that impressed me was Demonoid. You'll note that 2 of those sites have disappeared, and it's partly my fault. My generosity was always overcome by my fear of increasing my chances of getting caught. I still haven't made any donations to torrent sites.

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 04:09:54 PM »

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a cheap, penny-pinching bastard. Nevertheless, I can remember 3 times when I've considered donating to my favorite sites. Back in the heyday of KickassTorrents was probably the first - or maybe ThePirateBay was the first site that sparked my feelings of giving back to the community. The most recent site (and community) that impressed me was Demonoid. You'll note that 2 of those sites have disappeared, and it's partly my fault. My generosity was always overcome by my fear of increasing my chances of getting caught. I still haven't made any donations to torrent sites.

Well, these days, being a "cheap, penny-pinching bastard" is NOT a bad thing! I blogged about this one time. People don't realize that the once was "middle class" is now low income. We under estimate how important entertainment is. We need it to release stress from the outside world. If we can't afford it, we will find other ways of getting it. Obtaining movies are just as vital as food & rent.

The only time I donate now, is if I need a torrent (which is rare), and I have a low ratio (which is also rare). The rules on many of these trackers are so outrageous, it's better to donate and get upload credit, then to deal with the bullshit nitpicking. Fuck!!

-AOS

1Trek1

• Imp
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 07:32:07 PM »

Can you provide a url or website for any of those other trackers/sources??