ƊЄMƠƝƠƖƊ

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News: Welcome to Demonoid Fora!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: .onion site needed  (Read 1546 times)

phaze1G

• Global Moderator
  • Stuck in old times
Re: .onion site needed
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 02:58:53 PM »

History lesson
> Demonoid is an original idea of two friends (Deimos and Umlauf) which met each other on a rock band forum back in 1999. Deimos at that time was quite active on that forum and was learning so much about early web development and core-backend. After several years they wanted to start their own forum and site, where Umlauf offered to host servers, do maintenance and cover server costs back and Deimos would do full-time coding. They came to the idea of making a site for Demo soundtracks called DEMOnoid. That was the original site's purpose, hence why Demonoid was promoting albums of artists who shared them on Demonoid.

Why Deimos didn't let me handle or other staff?
> We were never part of the Demonoid startup and he wouldn't trust that massive user data to anyone, plus I would never put myself in a position to host Demonoid at all with my lack of experience within coding.

Why poison ads?
> Actually Deimos always tuned down as much as possible those ads to be less malicious and our last ads provider requested to implement fake ads buttons on navigation which Deimos rejected and they wanted to cut Demonoid off from a network.

If you know Deimos, why didn't you contact him?
> I only know partial things about him. (He is very secretive to the staff and no one knows much about him) I did but he is not responding at all.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:02:19 PM by phaze1G »

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
  • Classic Torrents Forever
    • AnythingOldSchool's Classic Torrents
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 03:39:20 PM »

History lesson
> Demonoid is an original idea of two friends (Deimos and Umlauf) which met each other on a rock band forum back in 1999. Deimos at that time was quite active on that forum and was learning so much about early web development and core-backend. After several years they wanted to start their own forum and site, where Umlauf offered to host servers, do maintenance and cover server costs back and Deimos would do full-time coding. They came to the idea of making a site for Demo soundtracks called DEMOnoid. That was the original site's purpose, hence why Demonoid was promoting albums of artists who shared them on Demonoid.

Why Deimos didn't let me handle or other staff?
> We were never part of the Demonoid startup and he wouldn't trust that massive user data to anyone, plus I would never put myself in a position to host Demonoid at all with my lack of experience within coding.

Why poison ads?
> Actually Deimos always tuned down as much as possible those ads to be less malicious and our last ads provider requested to implement fake ads buttons on navigation which Deimos rejected and they wanted to cut Demonoid off from a network.

If you know Deimos, why didn't you contact him?
> I only know partial things about him. (He is very secretive to the staff and no one knows much about him) I did but he is not responding at all.

Thank you so much for sharing, I really enjoyed reading that. Now I have an even more appreciation for Deimos (and his friend). I kind of don't feel as mad at Deimos as I was after reading your post. But at the same time, it's only because I missed what we had that I'm frustrated. It is my wish that, if Deimos lets the domains expire, I hope he extracts the emails to make an opportunity for someone to maybe create a tracker under a new platform (in spirit of Demonoid). I know Deimos knows we care deeply. And for all we know, he might be secretive because the feds could be on his tail. Whatever it is he's going threw, I hope he overcomes whatever challenges he's going through.

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 03:46:21 PM »

> It's never been about 'sharing bandwidth', at least not for 99% of people. It is, and always has been, about getting stuff for free that they would otherwise have had to pay for.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. In Demonoid's earlier days, I met TONS of people who were passionate about not only sharing, but seeding as long as they could. It really was a sharing community! That was part of what made Demonoid special, no other semi-public tracker was like that! On the other hand, it's true, there were a LOT of leeches; but there where more members who wanted to share than anything else. Therefore, it balanced out the ungrateful leeches.

megamarkd

• Imp
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 04:04:29 AM »

o3829254, when TOR first was organised, it was on dial-up and wasn't called TOR.  Sure it's evolved into what it is today with specific software but it was originally what I described.  I admit there was 'illegal' use of it and that it wasn't completely underground and secure.  Every few year there was a news report on authorities tracking and arresting 'wanted' users by setting up their own routing nodes, with even the system being mentioned in movies, but the TOR moniker and the use of it for the highly illegal activities that it now facilitates is a relatively recent.

Also one of the the original concepts of torrents was that users were sharing from the word go; from the time they started to receive data to the end of the transfer.  What happened after completion was up to the user, of course.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:10:46 AM by megamarkd »

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 07:21:51 AM »

o3829254, when TOR first was organised, it was on dial-up and wasn't called TOR.  Sure it's evolved into what it is today with specific software but it was originally what I described.  I admit there was 'illegal' use of it and that it wasn't completely underground and secure.  Every few year there was a news report on authorities tracking and arresting 'wanted' users by setting up their own routing nodes, with even the system being mentioned in movies, but the TOR moniker and the use of it for the highly illegal activities that it now facilitates is a relatively recent.

Also one of the the original concepts of torrents was that users were sharing from the word go; from the time they started to receive data to the end of the transfer.  What happened after completion was up to the user, of course.

The fact that this is a browser should have been a huge clue. People was so focused on not having to pay anything, that they shoot themselves in the foot. Every browser is vulnerable! People want to play in the big leagues, but don't take the time to be informed.

PH1K3

• Imp
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 11:26:02 PM »

its not about moving the forum, its about adding two lines in a configuration file to host the forum as a .onion AND on regular .info, so no data is changed, only thing added is that you can use the .onion to access it, this will not affect the .info site

loninappleton

• Imp
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 03:40:01 AM »

Maybe the remark above that  99 percent of users just want free stuff is accurate.  This makes me a member of the one percent.  Early in the torrent life I saw users do commetaries in an archival style which I picked up for my own use.  In that sense it is a form of self expression.  Also posters here have delivered content not on the majors.  For this reason I'm just waiting it out for either of the indexes I use to come back on.

phaze1G

• Global Moderator
  • Stuck in old times
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 01:46:53 PM »

its not about moving the forum, its about adding two lines in a configuration file to host the forum as a .onion AND on regular .info, so no data is changed, only thing added is that you can use the .onion to access it, this will not affect the .info site
This server has only 512MB of RAM, so not really into decreasing more RAM.

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 01:44:39 PM »

Maybe the remark above that  99 percent of users just want free stuff is accurate.  This makes me a member of the one percent.  Early in the torrent life I saw users do commetaries in an archival style which I picked up for my own use.  In that sense it is a form of self expression.  Also posters here have delivered content not on the majors.  For this reason I'm just waiting it out for either of the indexes I use to come back on.

In the beginning, my opinion is that people used torrents because they could not afford the copyright holder's prices. Today, I can say it does seem that a significant amount of people only want free, and I think a large part of that is because open trackers have changed the torrent culture. In the beginning, fandom existed in the torrent community. Now, I just want to "see the movie," and f**k seeding, cause they don't care.

loninappleton

• Imp
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »

I've heard the phrase grab 'n' go in this context. There's always been a lot of that.

megamarkd

• Imp
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »

In the beginning, my opinion is that people used torrents because they could not afford the copyright holder's prices. Today, I can say it does seem that a significant amount of people only want free, and I think a large part of that is because open trackers have changed the torrent culture. In the beginning, fandom existed in the torrent community. Now, I just want to "see the movie," and f**k seeding, cause they don't care.

Oh that so much the way for the majority.  I will buy when I can and as I have become more successful in my professional life, I've purchased more and more what I once used filesharing for.  Even when I was making a meagerly wage, I had friend (employed as a software dev at the time) who'd purchase a copy of most games I used filesharing to obtain, in an effort to "keep the ratio of legit-to-copied as close to 1:1 as possible!"
As the internet denizen demographic has received more and more of the generation beyond my own, unfortunately there seems to be an entire generation who have grown-up with the concept any digital form of entertainment is free and fair game...

I would like to reiterate why I ended up such an advocate of Demoniod: I remember when the WWW was first developed there was a statement made that it would become the largest repository of information ever conceived, with all the literature and media of the world becoming part of the "Information Super-Highway".  More and more I see it as a place for disinformation to be spread and a lot of the world's older records becoming less and less available here, being replaced with only that popular with the lowest common denominator.  Demonoid was somewhere that old television and radio show lived on, were movies from before there was a body which governed what could and couldn't contain were archived, where music not big with the mainstream or the alternative types could be found, and long forgotton freeware and software for no-longer in production computing systems was obtainable, where manuals for discontinued machinery were held.  It was keeping part of the original dream of a library of all human information and culture alive.  About the only other place that really still tries to keep this ideal alive is The Internet Archive.....

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 06:22:13 PM »

Oh that so much the way for the majority.  I will buy when I can and as I have become more successful in my professional life, I've purchased more and more what I once used filesharing for.  Even when I was making a meagerly wage, I had friend (employed as a software dev at the time) who'd purchase a copy of most games I used filesharing to obtain, in an effort to "keep the ratio of legit-to-copied as close to 1:1 as possible!"
As the internet denizen demographic has received more and more of the generation beyond my own, unfortunately there seems to be an entire generation who have grown-up with the concept any digital form of entertainment is free and fair game...

I would like to reiterate why I ended up such an advocate of Demoniod: I remember when the WWW was first developed there was a statement made that it would become the largest repository of information ever conceived, with all the literature and media of the world becoming part of the "Information Super-Highway".  More and more I see it as a place for disinformation to be spread and a lot of the world's older records becoming less and less available here, being replaced with only that popular with the lowest common denominator.  Demonoid was somewhere that old television and radio show lived on, were movies from before there was a body which governed what could and couldn't contain were archived, where music not big with the mainstream or the alternative types could be found, and long forgotton freeware and software for no-longer in production computing systems was obtainable, where manuals for discontinued machinery were held.  It was keeping part of the original dream of a library of all human information and culture alive.  About the only other place that really still tries to keep this ideal alive is The Internet Archive.....

That's a very important point you've made. These same sentiments were spread across the board in regards to Demonoid fans. Not only the rarest torrents could be found there, but hundreds, if not thousands of people were downloading each torrent, hence discovering without a doubt, history and culture was still desired by millions. Those people that were taking the time out of their life to share with us, were not just doing it because they loved Demonoid, they did it because it was a passionate hobby, they loved to help others who had the same passion, they shared out of their heart, and they also were smart and knew what they were doing.

I also think we need to add the following to the equation: I'm not sure what the age demographics are for torrent users, but if more and more younger people are using torrents, it's inevitable that we'd be dealing with people who are not old enough to have the keywords to search for the gems we offer. Unless their grandparents and uncles ask them to search for it. And this is very, very sad. I'm very disappointed with how little many people understand about computers and torrents.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:25:12 PM by AnythingOldSchool »

loninappleton

• Imp
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 03:29:37 AM »

Yes the idea of an archive for that which is not preserved in libraries is important.
Just today one of my oldest torrents on the French Commune by Peter Watkins
was being picked up.

And I find it transformative and gratifying that I see so many flags of other nations accessing my file share.  That hasn't stopped.  And I have made personal frienships as a result.

Pages: 1 [2]