ƊЄMƠƝƠƖƊ

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News: Welcome to Demonoid Fora!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: .onion site needed  (Read 1547 times)

PH1K3

• Imp
.onion site needed
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »

Poke Poke , create a .onion hidden service aswell

howto;
edit /etc/tor/torrc
add:
HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/demonoid/
HiddenServiceVersion 3
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:80

save and restart tor , cat /var/lib/tor/demonoid/hostname

optional: add the host name in the nginx/webserver if vhosts is enabled

share /var/lib/tor/demonoid/hostname the address

phaze1G

• Global Moderator
  • Stuck in old times
Re: .onion site needed
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »

Without Demonoid's database, it's pointless to create a new torrent site.

The only thing we can do is to wait for Deimos.

PH1K3

• Imp
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 10:53:38 PM »

it will improve anonymity and access to this forum, no need to rebuild the torrent site for that just add it to this site to make it easier to access from the Tor network :)

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
  • Classic Torrents Forever
    • AnythingOldSchool's Classic Torrents
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 05:14:09 AM »

Honestly, the way I feel right now, I think we should start from scratch. I think we've lost a significant amount of users anyway. And the ones that do comeback, will forget their passwords and user IDs.

phaze1G

• Global Moderator
  • Stuck in old times
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 11:13:12 AM »

Honestly, the way I feel right now, I think we should start from scratch. I think we've lost a significant amount of users anyway. And the ones that do comeback, will forget their passwords and user IDs.

And for that we just lack several things  ::)
1. Backend hardcore developer such as Deimos with 15+ years in coding.
2. Monetary gain of around 500$ per month to host a site such as Demonoid on several locations, reserve proxies and so on.

No one from staff has either of those requirements

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »

And for that we just lack several things  ::)
1. Backend hardcore developer such as Deimos with 15+ years in coding.
2. Monetary gain of around 500$ per month to host a site such as Demonoid on several locations, reserve proxies and so on.

No one from staff has either of those requirements

I'm gonna cry!! LOLOL

PH1K3

• Imp
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 11:11:47 PM »

Sounds like the wind of change to tair it  down and rebuild it is here.

megamarkd

• Imp
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 02:30:37 AM »

Poke Poke , create a .onion hidden service aswell

howto;
edit /etc/tor/torrc
add:
HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/demonoid/
HiddenServiceVersion 3
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:80

save and restart tor , cat /var/lib/tor/demonoid/hostname

optional: add the host name in the nginx/webserver if vhosts is enabled

share /var/lib/tor/demonoid/hostname the address

Demonoid was always a public site (despite the misconception held by so many is was private).  I'm still a great supporter of the idea that the site should, if it returns, remain public.  There are many private sites out there, but I'm not into keeping the old and rare content that I joined Demonoid to be able to access becoming only accessible to those who pass the 1337 test and I definitely don't want to start having to inhabit the underbelly of the web that you propose Demonoid be moved to.  TOR was originally a way for people living under oppressive governments have uncensored access to the Internet, not a place for the activities deemed dubious or legal in the free world to be carried out and it's a shame that is what it has become.  I don't hang-out in dark alleys in the physical world.

o3829254

• Imp
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 08:41:16 AM »

Had to laugh about this. Tor would not exist without the huge number of people using it to download stuff. It's very design requires numerous nodes to make it 'safe'. The tiny number of people in the 'oppressed' world could never keep it going. Moreover, that idea is just what the people making the money from it put out to protect their income. It never offered any protection whatsoever from 'oppresive governments', as it always chooses the fastest nodes to connect through, so all the 'oppresive government' need do is run the fastest nodes in their country and it can control the first and last nodes that every connection goes through, which gives them complete access to everything the user does. Even forcing connections through another country than your own won't help, as there's no way that (eg) the us of a's government isn't running fast servers in every country of the world. Not knowing how something works and just accepting what the 'developers' say will almost always get you killed. As for 'oppresive governments' vs the 'free world', there's nothing 'oppresive' about going to jail for uploading hollywood movies is there? Or allowing the entire legal profession to extort money from any ip address that there care to target. Viva the 'free world'. And I hate to tell you this, but demonoid and cloudflare, which this very forum (as demonoid itself was) are hidden behind, are both on the 'free world' countries lists of the 'underbelly of the web', with every user viewed as a criminal. If the 'free world' government were really (eg) a democracy, the very fact that the majority of people want to download stuff for free would make it perfectly legal (as democracy = majority rules). Viva 'la demoocracy'.

o3829254

• Imp
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 08:48:20 AM »

Anyone who believes demonoid was making $500 per month is delusional. By far the most likely reason that deimos has disappeared is that he's made enough money to retire on and is no longer willing to run and hide from the 'free world' governments. If they had him, they would publically lynch him. The only other possibility is that someone killed him (an advertiser is the most likely, given the nature of the advertisers that demonoid used), either to get his money or simply because they had some sort of disagreement. If you play with the scum, don't be surprised when they bite back. Or else he got sick and died (everyone does you know).

AnythingOldSchool

• Demon
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »

Demonoid was always a public site (despite the misconception held by so many is was private).  I'm still a great supporter of the idea that the site should, if it returns, remain public.  There are many private sites out there, but I'm not into keeping the old and rare content that I joined Demonoid to be able to access becoming only accessible to those who pass the 1337 test and I definitely don't want to start having to inhabit the underbelly of the web that you propose Demonoid be moved to.  TOR was originally a way for people living under oppressive governments have uncensored access to the Internet, not a place for the activities deemed dubious or legal in the free world to be carried out and it's a shame that is what it has become.  I don't hang-out in dark alleys in the physical world.

I totally agree! Demonoid had a magic that 'till this day I can't even explain. there are a lot of open trackers out there, and none garnered the same level of love that Demonoid attracted. Maybe it was simply the people running it? But, then again, for me, it was it's old members too. When I signed up, there where technically knowledgeable members, heavily participating in the boards. Now, the only people that populate the boards these days, are noobs wanting to know "what's a VPN;"or "what sites get DMCA letters?" Sometimes I wonder if streaming services made people anti-social? Then again, maybe it's the annoyance of having to repeat the same things over and over again. People really don't google anymore.

Had to laugh about this. Tor would not exist without the huge number of people using it to download stuff. It's very design requires numerous nodes to make it 'safe'. The tiny number of people in the 'oppressed' world could never keep it going. Moreover, that idea is just what the people making the money from it put out to protect their income. It never offered any protection whatsoever from 'oppresive governments', as it always chooses the fastest nodes to connect through, so all the 'oppresive government' need do is run the fastest nodes in their country and it can control the first and last nodes that every connection goes through, which gives them complete access to everything the user does. Even forcing connections through another country than your own won't help, as there's no way that (eg) the us of a's government isn't running fast servers in every country of the world. Not knowing how something works and just accepting what the 'developers' say will almost always get you killed. As for 'oppresive governments' vs the 'free world', there's nothing 'oppresive' about going to jail for uploading hollywood movies is there? Or allowing the entire legal profession to extort money from any ip address that there care to target. Viva the 'free world'. And I hate to tell you this, but demonoid and cloudflare, which this very forum (as demonoid itself was) are hidden behind, are both on the 'free world' countries lists of the 'underbelly of the web', with every user viewed as a criminal. If the 'free world' government were really (eg) a democracy, the very fact that the majority of people want to download stuff for free would make it perfectly legal (as democracy = majority rules). Viva 'la demoocracy'.

The problem with that "now" culture, or mindset of free cloaking (then again, it's always been that way, it's just gotten worse), it created a new attitude problem. People have forgotten the very reason how is it that torrents even work! It's about sharing bandwidth. Although the sharing is still there, but not like how it was back in the day.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 09:45:25 AM by AnythingOldSchool »

phaze1G

• Global Moderator
  • Stuck in old times
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 10:31:29 AM »

Anyone who believes demonoid was making $500 per month is delusional. By far the most likely reason that deimos has disappeared is that he's made enough money to retire on and is no longer willing to run and hide from the 'free world' governments. If they had him, they would publically lynch him. The only other possibility is that someone killed him (an advertiser is the most likely, given the nature of the advertisers that demonoid used), either to get his money or simply because they had some sort of disagreement. If you play with the scum, don't be surprised when they bite back. Or else he got sick and died (everyone does you know).

Deimos is a very influential person on a country level in real life and only several people knows about his hobby called Demonoid.

Believe or not, our ad provider was paying barely 500$ a month and Deimos had to pay from pocket to keep stuff running on monhtly basis.

o3829254

• Imp
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »

> Deimos is a very influential person on a country level in real life and only several people knows about his hobby called Demonoid.

I realize that you (phaze1G) are a long time moderator or whatever here, but, frankly, I don't believe you. If what you say is true, then he really was doing it for 'the people'. If so, why was has he let it die? Why not hand it over to, say, you, if he cannot do it himself any longer? Why have poison ads on the site that led to the users getting viruses? I'm afraid I follow Miss Marple's advice - never believe what anyone tells you until you get proof from some other reliable source.

o3829254

• Imp
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 01:52:21 PM »

> The problem with that "now" culture, or mindset of free cloaking (then again, it's always been that way, it's just gotten worse), it created a new attitude problem. People have forgotten the very reason how is it that torrents even work! It's about sharing bandwidth. Although the sharing is still there, but not like how it was back in the day.

It's never been about 'sharing bandwidth', at least not for 99% of people. It is, and always has been, about getting stuff for free that they would otherwise have had to pay for.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:21:45 PM by o3829254 »

o3829254

• Imp
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »

> Deimos is a very influential person on a country level in real life and only several people knows about his hobby called Demonoid.

Also, if you know who he is, why not contact him and find out what's going on?
Pages: [1] 2